**UPDATE ON RESIDENT STATUS**
APPROVED JANUARY 8, 2013
Process started on October 22, 2012
Time taken: Nearly 3 months
I am happy to say I can finally report something else about our Investor Visa status. I can change that status to completed as of January 8, 2013. It has taken nearly 3 months for the office in Manta to process the documents for us. Some report getting it done faster in Guayaquil or Quito and some say it takes longer. So really there is no set time frame. I like to say expect anywhere from 2 to 6 months to process and finalize everything before you get your Investor Visa stamped into your process.
Here’s what they did the day after I received notification by email, that our Investor Visa was apporved, and for us to come to the office in Manta so they could finalize our documents and pay the balance owed for the cost of processing the Investor Visa.
- We arrived at the office and waited our turn to be called up. (Surprisingly we were called up in less than 10 minutes.)
- The person handling our claim said we had everything approved and now we needed to pay the balance.
- We had to pay $320 USD per person for the processing of the Investor Visa.
- They had to cancel our Extended 6 month tourist visa.
- We had to pay $100 USD to cancel the tourist visa at the cashier. (The cashier is on the same floor as the office so it is convenient.)
- Needed to pay $4.00 per person, so they could issue us our temporary Certificado de Empadronamiento (that is the temporary number given that you use for the national id for Ecuadorian citizens, until we are issued our Cedula.
- We must now wait 7 business days, and then email our contacting officer if it is okay to go to either Guayaquil now or Quito to apply for our Cedula.
So that is our next phase. We have now our Investor Visa in the bag, but now the final step is to apply for the Cedula, then we are officially legal to stay in the country as residents.
Until next time, saludos!